Saturday, December 21, 2013

Making Changes - What Worked for You?

By now, you may have realized all I talk and or think about is the MCAT. I should be ashamed to admit that I even dream about the MCAT. We were lucky enough to have a weekend filled with snow. That couple with a new/used stove brought out my inner Martha Stewart. So, I decide it was time to crank up the oven and start the holiday baking. Even as I stood at the counter mixing ingredients, I was thinking about chemical reactions and whether or not I have down the H2CO3 (Bi-Carb - thinking Baking Soda for my non-science friends) Buffer System.  It's sad, but true. 

I believe that the MCAT has taken over my entire thought process. This must be a good thing. I have often read that preparing for the MCAT is similar to the way athletes prepare for a big game. Focus, practice, practice, more practice, and take a break the day before. 

Because I am working on my own prep plan, I am always scrolling through websites looking for extra advice.  On a blog post by Alex Sassani, it was mentioned that you should start the day off doing MCAT passages:  2 passages each that cover Verbal, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Organic Chemistry.  Ten passages to start the day off. WOW. 

The same post also mentions getting into a sleep rhythm. That is an area I have never been great in. So, starting this week, I am going to do my best to get to bed at the same time every night, and get up at the same time every morning. Hoping to get to bed by 10 pm, and up by 6 am. Before the kids get up and moving, I am hoping I can get through the 10 passages that Sassani recommends. I have purchased access to MCAT Question Q Bank. There are tons of passages. In addition, I have two books from AAMC with passages. That should be plenty. I sure am making changes to pull this off. Hope they work.

Here is my question to all of you. When you have been working towards a goal what changes did you have to make in your life to pull it off? What worked and what didn't?


No comments:

Post a Comment