Monday, February 1, 2016

Making Cookies with Emma

One of the more difficult aspects of this process has been to still find quality time with the kids where I am actually mentally present. It has been tough. Most of the time my thoughts are on the MCAT, paying for all the testing and application fees. I feel like I am mentally absent sometimes when I am with my family. But today I found a few minutes with my youngest one. In between studying for the MCAT, and putting in the garden for fall harvest, we found time to whip up a quick batch of cookies.

Looking around the house, we happened to have half a bag of milk chocolate covered toffee bits (Don't ask me where the other half went to? LOL) With a quick google, I found an Emma approved recipe, Brown Sugar Toffee Cookies. Based on cookie making experience, I made a couple of quick modifications to the recipe. They turned out excellently. These were so good, I had to pour a cup of milk to make the snack complete.

Brown Sugar Toffee Cookies

2 1/3 cup flour
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 stick softened butter
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1 cup milk chocolate covered toffee bits

Combine dry ingredients. Set aside. With an electric beater, whip the butter, shortening, and sugars together. Add egg and vanilla. Mix thoroughly. Add the dry ingredients, one half of mixture at a time. Mix well. Stir in toffee bits. Bake 11 minutes in an oven that was preheated to 350 degrees.

This recipe made exactly 3 1/2 dozen. We used a small ice cream scoop to dole them out. Enjoy!

Tip: To ensure even distribution of the toffee bits, stir in 1/3 a cup of the bits at a time. It really makes a difference. 


No comments:

Post a Comment