Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Gathering MCAT Study Materials

Finished up my first semester back with an A in General Chem II. Big confidence boost. Now I am in the thick of summer gathering resources to study for the MCAT. While I have read many a blog post about preparing in two or three months, I just don't think that is enough time for me. I have put together an plan to study that is a bit unorthodox.

Many blog posts, tweets, articles, and even the AAMC resources discuss how the MCAT is unlike any test you have ever taken. There is much discussion that the MCAT is more about testing your ability to read, analyze, and think critically. Based on that, I have decided to go about preparing for the MCAT a bit differently than I have seen elsewhere.

Of course I am focusing on Physics, Chem, Bio, A&P, O-Chem, and Biochemistry, but I am also taking a good bit of time to work on math skills, logic, and critical thinking skills. I believe those skills will be helpful to work my way through the passages and figure out the science that slips my mind the day of the exam. Afterall, isn't that what doctors do in the real world. They think their way through problems, often with only the information available right in front of them and what is tucked away in their minds.

In addition to studying this summer, I am taking a Physics course and Psycology course, plus shadowing. Those are for the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment